If you’re currently undergoing treatment with Invisalign, you know how important it is to keep your trays clean! However, there’s always the chance that you eat or drink something that stains your trays and need some advice, or perhaps you want some tips for how to keep your aligners as clean as possible. Our expert for Invisalign in Tujunga, CA, explains more here.
For the best hygiene, you should brush and rinse your Invisalign trays every time you brush your teeth and after meals, if possible. Trays create a barrier between your teeth and your mouth, making it impossible to naturally wash away certain bacteria that then become trapped in your aligners. When cleaning your aligners:
- Brush them gently
- Rinse thoroughly
- Soak them in a retainer solution when leaving them out
With proper care, your trays should not stain. However, sometimes stains can develop from drinking coffee, tea, or eating certain foods. There are methods to remove stains, however, including:
- Create a solution in a 50/50 water & vinegar solution for 30 minutes
- Soak them overnight in a 50/50 water & hydrogen peroxide solution
- Create a solution with 1 tablespoon of baking soda to ½ cup of water and soak them for an hour
These methods should help you keep your Invisalign trays clean and clear! Check with our orthodontist if you have recurring problems with staining or are unsure of how to employ cleaning methods.
It is recommended that you avoid using mouthwash with your trays, as they contain harsh ingredients and may stain. Some other tips:
- If you are unable to brush your teeth after eating, make sure to rinse your mouth thoroughly to avoid yellowing of your trays
- Our orthodontist may recommend avoiding toothpaste when cleaning your trays due to the abrasives that may damage them.
- Always wear your aligners for the recommended amount of time per day to ensure a straight smile!
Contact Us for Invisalign in Tujunga, CA, Today
To get in contact with our friendly team at Bergh Orthodontics, call us at 818-659-6485 for our Burbank office!